- Assam is a prominent state in Northeast India and a part of the Seven Sister states.
- It ranks 17th in terms of Area in India with a total area of 78,438 km2. Total population in the state is 31,205,576.
- State is well known for its tea and silk. The first oil well in Asia was also drilled here.
- Wildlife conservation is given huge importance in the state, Kaziranga National Park and Manas National Park form the last habitats for the Indian rhinoceros and Asian elephant.
- There are 33 districts in Assam, which includes 5 that were created in 2015 and Majuli district (1st river island district of India) which was created in 2016.
- Assam has 14 Lok Sabha constituencies and 126 Assembly seats.
- Major political parties of the state are BJP, INC, All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), Asom Gana Parishad and Bodoland People’s Front.
Assam was dominated by Congress no matter how far back you look. However, many locals started feeling that Congress has done nothing about the illegal immigrants in Assam which made them move towards the BJP.
When the 2016 Assembly elections were held, the native Muslims are said to have finally voted for BJP in the hope of a solution to Bangladeshi Muslim problem as well as some proper development in the state which still lacks in proper infrastructure and roads.
The current BJP team has grown stronger over the years. It is now a conglomeration of some of the best leaders from Congress and Asom Gana Parishad. The current CM and BJP leader, Sarbananda Sonowal, was a leader of AGP before he joined BJP in 2011. Himanta Biswa Sarma, one of the closest confidantes of former Congress CM Tarun Gogoi, joined BJP and heavily boosted its chances in the Assembly elections. With such young leaders who already have a huge base in the state, BJP looks strong enough to take on other parties in 2019 elections.
Assam has a total electorate count of 18,837,713 off which 15,092,387 voters exercised their rights in the 2014 elections, which was close to almost 80.11% voting. The highest voting was recorded from Dhubri (88.36%) while the lowest was from Autonomous District (77.43%).
162 Candidates took part in the elections from Assam and almost 90% lost their deposits! BJP candidate BIJOYA CHAKRAVARTY from Gauhati got the highest votes (764985), lowest votes were polled by an IUML candidate KASIR UDDIN SK. from Dhubri who got just 1455 votes.